July 26, 2016

Summer Sabbath Week 4 Devotional

Summer Sabbath Devotional #4, Being Humble

IMG_0968
by Linda Foster
Matthew18: It was at this time that the disciples came to Jesus with the question, “Who is really greatest in the kingdom of Heaven?”2-4 Jesus called a little child to his side and set him on his feet in the middle of them all. “Believe me,” he said, “unless you change your whole outlook and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven. It is the one who can be as humble as this little child who is greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.
So I look at this passage asking what really jumps out at me? Because that is what the Spirit is drawing my attention towards.
And this question leads me in a series of thoughts:
  1. Jesus knows the truth of my heart, not just who I say I am, or who I hope I am, but He knows my heart. In his gospel, when Mark tells this same story, he says, ‘Jesus knew their thoughts’. If he knows my thoughts, he knows the truth of my heart. And I can’t hide it from Him.
  2. It is clear that humility is a high value to Jesus, and so also to the Father.
  3. So I want to be humble.
  4. I can’t fake humble, God knows who I really am.
  5. Being humble is to know and honor the truth of who I am and who God is and who others are.
  6. Being humble means seeing what Jesus sees in myself and in others.
Being humble is to see Christ in myself and in others. And I’m struck by how hard it is for me. I see many things in myself, but seeing Christ in myself is hard. My tendency is to see how unlike Christ I am, and try to put on Christ’s actions because I want to be like Him. But to let Jesus rule my heart and eyes and ears, and respond to life genuinely as Jesus would…. How do I do that? How do I get there?
So I pray, I ask God how am I to respond to what He’s shown me here? And I know.
  1. I need to spend time with Him. We become like those we spend lots of time with.
  2. I need to know who He is and what He values, through knowing His words in Scripture.
  3. I need to get that my primary role is be His child and to know His love for me.
  4. True humility will come and will be a natural result of knowing I was created to know Him and know His love for me.
  5. See Summer Sabbath Devotional Week #1…. God has a theme going this summer.
Ephesians 3:14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, 15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower (us) with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in (our) hearts as (we) trust in him. (Our) roots will grow down into God’s love and keep (us) strong. 18 And may (we) have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May (we) experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then (we) will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment