July 20, 2016

Summer Sabbath Week 3- Ask, Search, Knock

Click here to read on the website.

Summer Sabbath Devotional #3 – Ask, Search, Knock

by Linda Foster
IMG_6341
Luke 11:9-13 – Jesus says:
“So this is my word to you: ask and it will be given you; search and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. You see, everyone who asks receives! Everyone who searches finds! Everyone who knocks has the door opened for them! If your child asks you for a fish, is there a parent among you who will give him a snake? Or if he asks for an egg, will you give him a scorpion? Face it: you are evil. And yet you know how to give good presents to your children. How much more will your heavenly father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”?
So I read this passage of Jesus’ own words.
And I ask: what is He saying to me right now through these words?
And how am I to, by His grace, respond to His message to me?
For me right now, this says so much.
  1. ask, search, knock. There is a level of shameless audacity, tenacious perseverance, even a quality of respectful desperate commanding in the examples given of these words.
  2. everyone, everyone, everyone.   E V E R Y O N E !?  Jesus says ‘everyone’ three times! This is the holy repetition Jesus uses when He wants us to GET IT!!!!  This requires some pondering!
  3. If my child (or grandchild ♥ ) asks me… will I not desire to move heaven and earth to meet a need and most times even a request of theirs? Uh, yes. My heart jumps for joy to be able to give any good thing to my kids.
  4. How much more.  HOW MUCH MORE? HOW MUCH MORE! More? Wow.
  5. How much more will your heavenly father give the Holy Spirit to any who ask. Again, WOW!
This is so much! Jesus is saying so much here and emphasizing it by repetition. Jesus WANTS me to understand His heart here, and the heart of the Father, the value of His love, that it is His joy to GIVE ME His Holy Spirit.
This is big.
And how am I, by His grace, going to respond this week?
  1. We sing the song, ‘Break Every Chain’ together on Sundays. And for a while I’ve been thinking I want to list all the chains I desire to see broken around me. So I am going to do just that this week. And I am going to intentionally and persistently, ask, search and knock.
  2. I am going to read this passage everyday this week, so that it really digs down deep in my mind and heart.
  3. I am going to ask again for the Holy Spirit. I leak. I need constant refilling of His Spirit. And I have gotten lax in asking. I am going to ask again for a refilling up of His Spirit. And ask with desperate desire and shameless persistence.
  4. And then I am going to pray that every chain on that list will be broken, to His glory and the good of those He loves.
This ought to keep me busy!
But time well spent.
Amen.
I hope each week, as you read the scripture passage, what God has said to me will encourage you. But my hope is also that you will take a moment to re-read the passage and ask yourself, ‘what is God saying to me? And how am I going to respond?’
So what is Jesus saying to you through this passage, and how, this week, by His grace, are you going to respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment