July 9, 2011

Concord Vineyard Summer Sabbath 2011 Devotional #2: We Are Called and Committed

July 11, 2011

Last week, we talked about the invitation and the challenge of resting, physically, emotionally and spiritually as we were created to do. This week we will look at why this is so crucial.

Dave officiated this past week at a funeral service for a 97 year old man. He was a dear man. Many spoke to the good he did, the good he brought to this Earth, and to their lives specifically. And it did, as it should do, get people’s minds to thinking, ‘Am I going to leave this world a better place? Am I investing in the lives of those God’s placed in my life? Will they have a good report to give when I pass on? Have I used my time on Earth as God hoped and planned I would?’ So Dave put forth a few thoughts:

We were created by God and He loves us.
God created us on purpose and for a purpose.
What is that purpose you specifically were created to do and how well are you doing it?

God knew us, planned us and had His purpose for us before we were even born. The bible is very clear about that!

Isaiah 46:3 “I have cared for you since you were born. Yes, I carried you before you were born.”

Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart…”

Psalm 139:16 “You (Lord) saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.”

We know we love life most when we are doing exactly what we were meant to do.
So then, in rest, and by His grace we are invited to do exactly what He created us to do.
He invites us to partner and participate with Him, our Maker and Lord. (WOW!)
He gives us His grace to live in such a way that His will is done here and now, on Earth!
Just as it is, and as it will be done in Heaven. (Again, a lot to get our mind around, but: WOW!)
We are called to participate with God in bringing His will on Earth.

We were bought by the Lord God Almighty at great cost, by great sacrifice.
So let’s USE this life and time we have as a mission.
What is the ‘mission’ God has given us this week? this year? in life?
What are we to do and be, by His grace, that will bring Heaven and His will on Earth,
(or at least our small part of this Earth),
as His will is and will be in Heaven?
Ponder THAT!


Mark 1:11 “ You are my child, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
(says the Spirit of God)

Isaiah 49: 1,2,5,15,16
Before I was born the LORD called me;
from my birth He has made mention of my name.
in the shadow of his hand He hid me;
And now the LORD says—
He who formed me in the womb to be His servant
… I am honored in the eyes of the LORD
and my God has been my strength—
because of the LORD, who is faithful,
the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.
‘I will not forget you!
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands…’

So we are CALLED by our Creator to participate in this great adventure,
and He has equipped us to be of service.
What does that mean to you?


Questions:
1. What is it that you do, that while you do it, you lose track of time, you think, ‘I could do this forever, I was made for this!’? What do you do now that will carry over in the world to come?
2. How can you make more space or room in your life, even during or within the regular day to day responsibilities, to be or do that that you were made and called and purposed to do?

Romans 11:29 For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment